Virginia Gingerbread Christmas
For over 10 years, Virginia Gingerbread Christmas has been held at the Omni Hotel in Downtown Charlottesville, showcasing the amazing gingerbread house making skills of local professional chefs, kids and kids-at-heart. The Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville is lucky enough to be heading up this wonderful tradition! Plans are just getting under way, but we are hoping that each and every one of you starts thinking about what your vision for this year’s theme – “Favorite Holiday Book” – will be.
To submit your entry into the competition, please complete the entry form and submit to the Ronald McDonald House by November 23rd, 2018 (extended from the 16th).
Gingerbread Competition Display Open to the Public at the Omni Hotel:
- December 2nd 4 pm – 8 pm
- Join authors Chris Barcomb, Mollie Cox Bryan, Jennifer Elvgrin, Barbara Morin, and Frank Payne as we open this year’s Gingerbread Display with the theme “Favorite Holiday Book”. They will be there to sell and sign your favorite titles, and there will be other holiday books available for purchase. At 6 pm Santa and Mrs. Claus will arrive to visit with us (and the kids!) for a while. And at 6:30 the Virginia Sil’hooettes will serenade us in song. There will be raffle tickets and an opportunity to draft a Letter to Santa for reading later (he will respond, too, if contact info is provided!).
- December 3rd 10 am – 8 pm
- Local caricature artist Daniel Ryman will join us from 10 am to noon and will be happy to capture your personality on paper. From 5 to 7 pm we will have a “construction zone” for the kiddos to assemble a small Lego project or a Christmas ornament of their choosing. The holiday books will continue on sale from 4 to 8 pm.
- December 4th 10 am – 8 pm
- Holiday book sales will continue from 4 to 8 pm. Santa and Mrs. Claus have promised to visit with us again beginning at 6 pm. And NBC29’s own Kasey Hott will join us at 6:30 pm to lead us in a sing along. Winners for each of the gingerbread categories will be revealed at 7 pm, and raffle winners will be announced then, as well.
- December 5th 10 am – 2 pm
- This will be a time – with a little less commotion – to view the gingerbread entries for the last time.